December 1 2023
Tender chicken fillets in a crispy coating, meet our Respectful Fried Chicken (RFC). Dunked into our homemade herby mayo, with a side of crunchy slaw, it’s definitely a winner, winner, chicken dinner –or snack! TIP – leftovers are great the next day served in a warm wrap or pitta.
- 2 Respectful eggs
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 150ml plus 4 tbsp vegetable or light rapeseed oil
- 2 lemons
- 15g mixed fresh herbs, parsley, coriander, basil or chives, finely chopped
- 400g British farmer friendly chicken mini fillets
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 50g plain flour
- 100g breadcrumbs, blitzed up leftover sourdough
- 1 large carrot, coarsely grated
- 1 apple, coarsely grated
- 150g seasonal greens, kale, cavolo nero or baby leaf greens, finely sliced
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- Separate 1 egg, place the yolk in a food processor or a mixing bowl if whisking by hand (reserve the white for later). Add the mustard and season. Whisk for 2 mins until light in colour. Add the oil very slowly, drip by drip until thickened and all incorporated. Squeeze in the juice from ½ lemon, season to taste and stir through the chopped herbs. Transfer to a bowl or jar and store in the fridge until ready to serve.
- Preheat the oven to 140°C/120°C fan.
- Lay a large piece of greaseproof paper on your work surface. Put the chicken pieces on the right side of the paper and fold the left. Using a rolling pin, lightly bash the chicken to tenderise the meat. Grate the zest from 1 lemon and the garlic over the chicken. Season and rub the marinade over the chicken.
- Crack 1 whole egg into a shallow bowl with the reserved egg white; thoroughly whisk. Tip the flour into another shallow bowl and put the breadcrumbs in a third bowl.
- Dip the bashed out chicken, one piece at a time, into the flour, followed by the beaten egg and finally the breadcrumbs. Lay onto a clean plate.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Fry the chicken for 6-8 mins, turning halfway until golden and cooked through (you’ll have to do this in a couple of batches, adding the remaining oil to cook the chicken). Transfer the cooked goujons to a baking tray lined with kitchen paper and keep in the warm oven until ready to serve.
- To make the quick slaw, tip the carrot, apple and greens into a bowl. Add the juice from ½ lemon and red wine vinegar. Scrunch together with your hands to combine and season to taste.
- Serve the chicken goujons and slaw alongside the herby mayo with lemon wedges.