June 26 2023
We’re getting the most out of bread and broccoli! Caesar salad is a classic and we’ve added an extra level of crunch to make ours even more planet-friendly by using the whole broccoli head and toasting a leftover loaf into crunchy croutons. Key to its satisfying savouriness are our carbon-neutral eggs…they make a silky sauce and a jammy, tasty topping for this salad.
• 1 head of broccoli
• Sea salt
• Freshly ground black pepper
• Olive oil
• 120g stale bread, torn into chunks
• 1 garlic clove, crushed
• 2 anchovies, finely chopped
• 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
• 1 Respectful egg yolk
• 1 lemon, juice only
• 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
• 2 tablespoons natural yoghurt
• 2 Respectful eggs
• 30g Parmesan, finely grated
• Handful of radishes, finely sliced
• 2 tablespoons mixed seeds, toasted
1. Preheat the oven 200°C (180°C fan).
2. Cut the broccoli head and stalk into 8 wedges, then season and toss with a drizzle of olive oil. Arrange on a large roasting tray and bake for 20 mins, turning halfway and cooking until the broccoli is charred and cooked through.
3. Drizzle the bread with olive oil and add to the oven with the broccoli for the final 5-10 minutes, roasting until crisp and golden.
4. Meanwhile make the dressing by whisking together the garlic, anchovies, mustard, egg yolk and lemon juice. Slowly pour in the extra virgin olive oil until thick and emulsified, then whisk in the yoghurt.
5. Bring a saucepan of salted water to the boil and boil the 2 remaining eggs for 7 minutes, until jammy and soft. Drain, run under cold water, peel and slice in half.
6. Toss the roasted broccoli and croutons in the Caesar dressing. Arrange on a platter with the soft boiled eggs, finish with the grated Parmesan, radishes, seeds and a sprinkle of black pepper.